Saturday, November 6, 2010

A Dedication: Some Poems from My Spanish Friend Mario


It must be an exhilarating albeit exhausting task translating Seferis, Elytis, Eliot, David Jones, Zukofsky, et al. into Spanish and all the while writing your own poems, but this is what Mario Domínguez Parra does, and he does it with all the passion of a Spanish Markos Vamvakaris: When the great rembetiko musician first heard a bouzouki, he vowed to learn how to play the instrument in six months or he would chop off his arm with a cleaver! Now that’s what I call dedication and I’m grateful Mario has it.

1 comment:

  1. While I am writing this, I am listening to Markos' "Ores me threfi o loulas", "I'm nourished by loulas" (as the song title is translated in Spotify, tho they don't include "for hours") in order to thank you for this great Saturday morning surprise.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...