Sunday, January 10, 2010

George Oppen and Anastasios G. Zambaras


Two of my favorite faces in silent conversation.

I took my father’s picture in 1969, the same year George Oppen won the Pulitzer; each time I pick up this ancient, dog-eared copy of his Collected Poems, I am struck by how much he resembles my father and vice-versa. I also find myself wondering if this resemblance had anything to do with my first being attracted to Oppen’s poetry when I was a grad student at the University of Washington in the early 70s. Whatever the reason, I consider myself fortunate for having had these two mentors as beacons that helped me find my way in a world notorious for making people feel lost.

3 comments:

  1. Whatever the connection between your father and your attraction to Oppen, it shows in your poetry.

    Was you father a poet or is it simply that he resembles one?

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a beautiful, inspiring entry. The photo of your pa is a masterpiece. In this arrangement, the poems have been collected again. And now I know you much better, my friend.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Elisabeth,

    No,my father was not a poet in the usual sense of the word but I like to think of him as one.

    William,

    Wonderfully stated, my friend,as always--thank you so much!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...