Thursday, October 10, 2013

Déjà Vu


Any time now, the alarm 
Clock that’s melting 
And running off the bed- 
Side table like candle 
Wax will go off 
Just as you reach 
Over to turn 
It off and try 
To go back 
To sleep. 

. 


Any time now 
But not this time— 
That burnt-out 
Dream you’re stuck in 
Won’t let you go back 
To sleep again. 


4 comments:

  1. Any time now
    But not this time—

    The conditional and the promissory, always such portent-laden realms...

    This brace of lines kept bringing me back to read again, and again, until I almost felt I'd been in this place before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Portent laden is right.

    Being what is politely described as a light sleeper, this one hit a nerve.

    ReplyDelete
  3. A recurrent dream/nightmare I first had years ago when I was a grad student at the University of Washington—I would always dream I awoke and try to turn off an alarm clock that strangely enough had started melting as soon as I touched it; the really strange thing is that whenever I saw the dream over the years, it would always be the same but the venue would change according to where I happened to be sleeping at the time, so I have the feeling that I was actually awake during the dream rather than dreaming it. BTW, I haven’t seen it for years.

    ReplyDelete
  4. For many years I had a somewhat similar experience of a recurrent dream/nightmare which originated in my curious Cold War era ROTC career. I was the world's worst soldier, and the anxieties re. inspections -- the shining-up of the brass, the spit-polishing of the shoes, the cleaning of the rifle -- haunted my nights for a long time afterward. I'd awaken bolt upright in panic, worrying about the lack of gleam on my uniform buttons.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...