Thursday, January 2, 2020

Down In The Dumps And In Need Of A Pick-me-up, I Stumble Upon A Famous Last Line Of A Poem By James Wright

Like so many things 
I’ve sheepishly forgotten, I don’t remember 

Talking to myself when I was too young 
To go to school, like a lot of kids did or still 

Do, like our granddaughter did 
And still does 

When she thinks she's alone and begins 
Reeling off adventure after adventure 

Full of unreal characters known 
Only to her, and me 

Eavesdropping in on the hope 
I can pick up on that priceless, 

Uplifting gem of a germ 
She’s so infected with, 

Though I suspect all too well 
It’s no longer catching— 

Have I wasted my life?


 

2 comments:

  1. A beautiful, moving, finely-tuned poem that is a tribute to spirit and imagination and hope, as well as to a specific loved granddaughter and a superb poem by James Wright. Bravo!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Mr. Levy, for answering my ingenuous question so artfully!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...