Friday, August 17, 2018

Becoming Slightly Unhinged In The Bank Waiting For My Priority Number To Come Up During Another Record-Breaking Heat Wave


Mine’s sixty-eight—I’ve been 
“Cooling my heels” over an hour 
And the priority slip I’m now using 
As a bookmark says my waiting 
Time should’ve been around nine 
Minutes; in the meantime, I’ve been 
Making do in the overworked air- 
Conditioned inner sanctum 
Of the nightmare 

Institution which looks after 
My rapidly dwindling bantam 
Nest egg with all the care 
Of a crazed mother hen, 

And reading a slender volume 
Of poems called Sleepwalker’s Songs,
All the while thinking of what I could do 
If my nest egg were fatter, watching 
Customer after customer go up 
To the teller and walk out again 

Onto a dazzling, searing asphalt so hot it could fry 
Enough dinosaur eggs to feed an onslaught 
Of famished, day-dreaming somnambulists 
Armed to the teeth with nothing 
But a slew of cool blank checks— 
I wonder what 69’s thinking of. 

6 comments:

  1. Very cool response to the heat. Fab poem - great title.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Jonathan, for breezing by and saying hi! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I love all your poems, but I have to say, when you "go long," oh my ... your voice has time to touch so many more notes on the lyre. Hope you're ensconced somewhere cool by now!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks again, Joseph. BTW, during my boyhood I was an avid reader of Plastic Man comic books where I always marveled at his ability to assume so many different shapes and I wonder if my pint-sized frame might have something to do with the variable length of my poems! As for some cool weather, not much hope on the horizon, given the current state of our planet and how it's now being threatened by screwball climate change deniers in positions of power.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Can we say the climate deniers are playing with fire? Certainly here in Colorado and California ... across all the western states, actually. Well, you shape-shifter, keep those transformations coming!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Greece is also no stranger to devastating deadly fires, one in Southern Greece in 2007 which killed 84 and the latest one in Mati, Attica on July 24th this year which took the lives of a hundred--in both cases, climate change certainly played a key role vis-a-vis the intensity of the fires and the speed with which they spread.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...