Thursday, October 22, 2009

Tiny Tortoise vs Silver Knight



Tiny Tortoise was found on its back close to death near the formidable walls of Ancient Messene last Sunday afternoon. I had stopped for "nature call" (#1) and while doing so, I spied what looked like a
curious-looking, green-and-white checkered pebble to my left. Upon picking it up, I saw that it was a miniscule tortoise that seemed lifeless but I just couldn't tell. Remembering something I had read in one of Kazantzakis' books, I decided to find out. Quickly cupping it in my hands, I started to warm it with my breath; soon its little legs were moving and its head slowly emerging from its shell. I put it in the trunk of the car and took it to Meligalas, where it is now free to roam our spacious, weed-infested garden to eat whatever its little heart desires. Knowing that I might never see Tiny again, I first put him/her next to Silver Knight (all of 10cm tall) and took this picture to remind me how brave this spunky little critter really is.




4 comments:

  1. There are no coincidences: Perhaps it was he/she who found *you*. :) What a delightful little tale.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ...and mum says that you lack sensibility...!! She doesn't know what she is talking about..

    Love you Daddy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ... I meant "sensitivity" yes!! Too much math homework can do weird things to your brain...hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If you think maths can do weird things to your head, you should try poetry--therein perhaps lies your salvation....hahaha!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...